Monday, June 20, 2011

Development Update #1

As we near a point where we will be able to show some pretty sweet gameplay footage and screenshots instead of just mockups and videos of me playing with the editor, I am going to attempt regular updates on the progress of the tech side of things. This may not interest some of you, but it's always good to know that a project is moving along and the developers are still alive. I'll shoot for at least bi-monthly updates, but if a week is particularly productive, I may post more often. I might try some video updates with me talking.

You may remember from earlier in the devlog that we started over from scratch, moving from C#/XNA to C++/OpenGL (if you missed this, just scroll down a bit; There aren't that many posts to wade through :P). A few weeks ago, we caught up with where we were before, and then surpassed it. The lighting engine is significantly improved and faster, both because of some algorithm redesign and the simple fact that C++ doesn't suffer from the .NET overhead that C# does.

The minimum OpenGL version required is 2.0. There are shaders that we need for the proper lighting effects, so it won't go any lower than that, but 2.0 is pretty damn good and things are going to look fantastic on all machines.

I've been working mostly on the editor for the last month or so. As it seems to be nearing feature-complete, I've moved my attention to gameplay, and in the next week or so we are going to see some videos or at least screenshots of that. Ben is in the process of moving, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to finish enough on the tech that he will have plenty to do when he settles down. I have a todo list about three pages long in my notebook, and it grows all the time.
Language                     files          blank        comment           code
C++                             23            920            269           3508
XSD                              9             34              0            870
C/C++ Header                    20            193             86            655
make                             2            172            114            473
bash                            10             57            155            254
Lua                              7             65             39            241
C                                1             59             30            131
SUM:                            72           1500            693           6132

No comments:

Post a Comment